Unai Emery confirms who will start in Europa League against FC Vorskla Today

Many people expected Bernd Leno to start this season as the number one keeper for the club. Arsenal are not known for spending £22.5 on back-up players, but the German has yet to make an official appearance with Petr Cech preferred in goal.

That will change tomorrow though as the Gunners kick off their Europa League campaign against Ukrainian side FC Vorskla.

The German will get the nod to make his debut, something Unai Emery confirmed at his pre-game press briefing on Wednesday.

“Bernd Leno is going to play tomorrow,” he said.

“In our planning with our goalkeeper we have spoken with Javi Garcia, the goalkeeping coach.

“We need with Leno to give him a chance and the minutes of the game.”

It has likely been a frustrating time for the 26 year old with over 300 senior appearances to his name, but the Arsenal boss suggests that competition for places is fluid, based on performances, and not like the situation we had last season with David Ospina who was the ‘cup keeper’.

“I spoke with him on the day of my first match about my decision, I give him my argument for the decision.

“Tomorrow we are going to play Leno, but in each match we are going to look at each performance and each preparation for continuing playing, but not for giving Leno, Petr or Emi one competition to play in.

“He’s here because he’s shown us his quality. The quality for the goalkeeper for me is complex, but he has it.

“Tomorrow he is going to start and he can go a long way here at Arsenal.”

Can he mark his debut with a clean sheet? Let’s hope so.