‘I love him’: Tottenham boss Pochettino makes admission about Arsenal man

Tottenham Hotspur’s Mauricio Pochettino opens up on his relationship with the Gunners boss Unai Emery.

Tottenham Hotspur boss Mauricio Pochettino has admitted to Football London that he ‘loves’ Arsenal counterpart Unai Emery, after being paired against his old friend in the Carabao Cup.

Spurs beat West Ham 3-1 at the London Stadium last night to reach the quarter-final of the competition and book an intriguing clash with their bitter North London rivals, who edged past Blackpool at the Emirates.

The Spurs boss Pochettino, a former Espanyol boss, came up against Emery on six occasions during the latter’s spell in charge of Valencia, beating him once and losing four times.

Asked about the game he beat the Arsenal boss in, Pochettino told Football London: “Yes I remember that game, he was at Valencia? Yes.

“I think he is one of the greatest managers. Of course it is always good to challenge them, like Pep on Monday or Manuel tonight and I have great respect for him and the coaching staff.

“It is a little bit ironic that our worst enemies in West Ham and Arsenal but I love Manuel and Unai and we have a very good relationship. Okay, during 90 minutes we are going to fight but then before and after I think we are going to enjoy.”

By the time that last-eight contest comes around, Tottenham and Arsenal will have already faced off in the Premier League.

Spurs visit the Emirates on December 2 in a game which could help to gauge who will win when both sides do it again a couple of weeks later.

The Gunners, who sit fourth, are one point above Pochettino’s side in the Premier League table.