Player ratings: Arsenal 2-1 Burnley

Arsenal made it two wins from two to start the 2019/20 Premier League season as goals from Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang helped us see of Burnely at the Emirates on Saturday afternoon.

We made an excellent start and scored inside the opening 15 minutes when Lacazette turned well before firing through the legs of Nick Pope in the Clarets’ goal.

However, we were pegged back at the end of the first half when Ashley Barnes netted for the visitors shortly before half-time.

For the second consecutive game to start the new season, it was Aubameyang who netted a second half winner for Unai Emery’s side. The Gabon star slotted into the bottom corner from the edge of the box after Dani Ceballos had won the ball in an excellent performance on his full debut.

Here are my player ratings:

Bernd Leno 5 – The German goalkeeper flapped at a number of set pieces. There’s no doubt he’ll cost us a few more goals this season if he doesn’t fix this erratic behaviour.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles 6 – The youngster was dragged out of position a few times by the skillful Dwight McNeil today. Looked good going forward to support the attack down the right wing.

David Luiz 5  Made some lovely long-range passes on his debt. No one’s even questioned David Luiz being comfortable in possession it’s his defensive ability that worries me. The Brazilian lost Barnes for Burnley’s goal.

Sokratis 7 – Performed fairly well up against a physical Burnley attack as Sokratis did a decent job of holding our back four together.

Nacho Monreal 8 – Very good performance at left-back today. Solid in defence in keeping Joey Gudmundsson quiet and got forward to help the attack.

Matteo Guendouzi 8 – Another terrific performance from the young French midfielder. Matteo Guendouzi started attacks from deep and combined well with the likes of Dani Ceballos and Joe Willock in front of him in the absence of Granit Xhaka.

Joe Willock 6 – Energetic first half but faded as the game went on. Similar to his performance at Newcastle last weekend but good to see the manager having faith in the youngster.

Dani Ceballos 9 – What a debut from the Spaniard! Dani Ceballos ran the show in the middle of the park, showing off his great technical ability. The Real Madrid loanee worked his socks off and won possession to set up the winning goal from Aubameyang. He also delivered the corner from which Lacazette opened the scoring.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 7 – Not as involved as he would have liked to be out on the right wing in the first half but Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang made the difference when moved into a central striker role after the break. Combined well with Lacazette and Nicolas Pepe. Missed a good opportunity late on.

Reiss Nelson 5 – Had a goal ruled out for offside. Reiss Nelson struggled to really get into the game and was replaced at half-time after seemingly picking up an ankle injury.

Alexandre Lacazette 7 – Showed good strength and determination to score the opening goal. Looked a good threat in attack but did fade out in the second half as he’s still not fully fit.

Subs:

Nicolas Pepe 7 – Lively and exciting performance after replacing Nelson at half-time. Our club record signing loves to run at defenders and is full of tricks Bags of pace – I cannot wait to see more of Pepe as the season goes on .

Sead Kolasinac 6 – Brought on to help us prevent a second goal going in during the final 20 minutes.

Lucas Torreira  6 – Nearly made it 3-1 with a fine effort but was well saved.