Player ratings: Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal

Arsenal were handed our first defeat of the new season as we were thrashed 3-1 at Liverpool on Saturday evening.

It did take until 40 minutes for Jurgen Klopp’s side to take the lead through Joel Matip’s header, but the home side had been well and truly on top for the first half.

Mohamed Salah scored twice in the opening 15 minutes of the second half, the first after David Luiz had conceded a penalty by tugging his shirt.

As Liverpool stat back for the final 20 minutes we were able to score a consolation through substitute Lucas Torreira.

Here are my player ratings for the game:

Bernd Leno 6 – Can’t fault the German for any of the goals.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles 6 – Did relatively well considering the youngster was up against both Sadio Mane and Andy Robertson. None of Liverpool’s three goals came from Ainsley’s side.

David Luiz 3 – A shocker of a game from the Brazilian as he foolishly conceded the penalty from which Salah put the game to bed. Couldn’t cope with the Liverpool defence in open play as David Luiz’s positioning was awful.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos 5 – Failed to deal with the corner from which Liverpool finally broke through. On a positive note, Sokratis did make a couple of important blocks to keep the scoreline from being even greater.

Nacho Monreal 4 – Had a very tough game at left-back as Mohamed Salah was a constant threat down this side. It didn’t help Nacho Monreal when Trent Alexander-Arnold was offering support down the wing too.

Matteo Guendouzi 6 – Starting to make this starting position his own. Matteo Guendouzi showed his confidence on the ball inside his own half again but this time struggled to start attacks against Liverpool’s imposing central midfield trio.

Granit Xhaka 5 – Some nice raking passes but didn’t help us out defensively.

Nicolas Pepe 5 – Showed promise, particularly down the right wing. Nicolas Pepe made one run of note in the first half, taking the ball from inside his own half before firing straight at the advancing Adrian in the Liverpool goal. Looks very exciting for the rest of the season but it wasn’t his day at Anfield this evening.

Dani Ceballas 4 – Man of the match against Burnley last week but Dani Ceballos has a lot of learning to do. This wasn’t the game to try risky passes in his own half as he nearly created an opener for Roberto Firmino. Needed to work harder in defending up field and should have been replaced much sooner.

Joe Willock 5 – There were a couple of promising attacks involving Joe Willock but the youngster let Trent Alexander-Arnold whisk past him too easily.

Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang 5 – Missed a good opportunity in the first half created by the Liverpool goalkeeper. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was largely on the fringes of this game but did setup our consolation.

Subs:

Lucas Torreira 6 – Came on to score a consolation. Put a good cameo performance in as we were left wondering why Lucas Torreira didn’t start at Anfield.

Alexandre Lacazette 5 – Didn’t get many touches on the ball as the striker was only thrown on for 10 minutes.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan 5 – Nothing more than a late run out for the Armenian.