Player ratings: Arsenal 2-2 Spurs

Arsenal came from two goals down to rescue a point in the North London derby on Sunday as head into the international break in fifth place.

An error from Bernd Leno a tap in to give Tottenham Hotspur a 10th minute lead against the run of play. We were dominating the possession and territory but not forcing Hugo Lloris into too many saves before Granit Xhaka recklessly conceded a penalty five minutes before half-time which Harry Kane emphatically converted.

Alexandre Lacazette scored an important goal in first half stoppage time in a game that we rarely looked like losing despite two costly errors at the back. We pushed and pushed for an equaliser in the second half before Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang grabbed it 20 minutes from time. The game was end to end at the finish but neither side could pinch a winner.

Here are our players fared:

Bernd Leno 4 – A howler to push Erik Lamela’s tame effort into the path of Christian Eriksen to roll in from close range. We had started the better side at this point too. Bernd Leno made a couple of saves afterwards but nothing spectacular.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles 6 – Heung-min Son had some successful runs at our young right-back but nothing directly lead to a goal. The right-back bombed forward himself and got a few crosses into the box to cause Spurs problems of their own.

David Luiz 5 – All over the place for Spurs’ opener. It’s been a nervy couple of games with David Luiz in defence. Harry Kane was able to fire an effort against the post but otherwise the England striker didn’t have too many opportunities in open play.

Sokratis 6 – Shocking decision to go up for a header when a teammate was already challenging the opponent – Sokratis was largely at fault for Spurs’ opener too. The Greek international improved his performance as the game went on.

Sead Kolasinac 6 – Offered width down the left when going forward and put a few crosses into the box. Too slow to keep up with Erik Lamela for the opening goal though.

Granit Xhaka 3 – It befuddles me how this guy starts every week, let alone why Unai Emery made him the captain. Granit Xhaka needlessly dived in to concede the penalty from which Tottenham made it 2-0, five minutes before half-time. He made one successful tackle and seven fouls. We were fortunate he was only booked with the final of those fouls just before full-time. How has this guy been starting ahead of Lucas Torreira recently?!

Matteo Guendouzi 8 – Looked like a headless chicken at times in the first half but played a superb game after the break, capped off by an excellent assist for Aubameyang’s equaliser. Matteo Guendouzi got stuck in, saw a lot of the ball and started attacks. Created a couple of chances as well as the equaliser.

Lucas Torreira 7 – Burned himself out with his constant pressing when Spurs were in possession and was replaced on the hour at 1-2. This dogged display from Lucas Torreira is what we want to see every week and we will if Emery starts him constantly.

Nicolas Pepe 7 – Another exciting performance in only his second start for the Gunners. The only thing that was missing once again from Nicolas Pepe today was the final product. The pacey winger caused the visitors a lot of problems down the right wing but aside from a fine Hugo Lloris save early on, didn’t test the French goalkeeper. The goals and assists will certainly come and Pepe will have easier opportunities compared to face two of last season’s top three in his first two starts for the club.

Alexandre Lacazette 8 – Was relentlessly trying to win the ball back from the front and his performance was capped off with an excellent goal to get us back in the game just before half-time. Alexandre Lacazette was replaced midway through the second half with an apparent thigh injury.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 8 – A nice equaliser five minutes after being moved into the central striker’s role for the final quarter of the game. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang really troubled Davinson Sanchez at right-back for Spurs but no chances to score from out wide.

Substitutes

Dani Ceballos (29 mins) 6 – Immediately got involved in the game, forcing a save out of Lloris and increasing the pace of the game. Dani Ceballos showed some nice touches and passes and perhaps could have come on earlier.

Henrikh Mkyhitaryan (25 mins) 5 – Booed when he was introduced for the injured Lacazette and offered little way of a threat in the final third. Given that Henrikh Mkhitaryan was deployed down the left, Reiss Nelson, Joe Willock or Mesut Ozil could have been introduced instead.