Player ratings: Sheff Utd 1-0 Arsenal

A shambolic performance from Arsenal saw us go down 1-0 against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on Monday night.

Lys Mousset scored the only goal of the game after half hour when the tall striker was given freedom in the middle of the six yard box to tap home after Jack O’Connell’s knockdown from a corner.

We were limp up front as Dean Henderson was not seriously tested at all in the Blades’ goal, whilst the statistics say we had just three shots on target.

Defeat now leaves us down in fifth place in the Premier League table, two points below both Leicester City and Chelsea in the hunt for Champions League football next season.

Here are my ratings from Sheffield United 1-0 Arsenal:

Bernd Leno 6 – Not much he could have done with the goal and little else for Bernd Leno to do for most of the game. However, the goalkeeper’s short distribution from the back did lead to us losing possession inside our own half on a couple of occasions.

Calum Chambers 7 – 6.5 – Offered width down the right wing but his crosses were cleared time and time again by the Sheffield United defence. Looked fine defensively.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos 5 – Looked anything but comfortable in defence despite neither of Sheffield United’s striker’s being prolific.

David Luiz 4 – Terrible defensive effort from the corner from which the hosts scored the game’s only goal. Struggled playing out from the back too.

Sead Kolasinac 5 – Poor deliveries when getting forward from left-back. Fortunately, Kieran Tierney will be back in the near future.

Matteo Guendouzi 7 – One of our few players to come away from the game with some pried. Matteo Guendouzi got on the ball a lot to start attacks, even picking out teammates with long passes forward. Off the ball the youngster battled well in midfield.

Granit Xhaka 5 – Another poor performance that makes you wonder why Unai Emery handed the captain’s armband to Granit Xhaka. He’s too slow on the ball, allowing the opposition to get back into possession as he slows down our attacks.

Joe Willock 4 – Couldn’t get into the game and was subsequently replaced at the break.

Nicolas Pepe 4 – Missed a sitter from six yards in the middle of the goal at 0-0. Fired a couple of efforts in on goal but otherwise a lacklustre performance once again from Nicolas Pepe.

Bukayo Saka 6 – One of our few players to take the ball and drive at the Sheffield United defence. Bukayo Saka tried to make things happen but it wasn’t his night. Harshly booked for a dive in the first half.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 5 – Sheffield United dealt with our striker very well as Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s service was completely cut off on Monday night.

Substitutes

Dani Ceballos (45 mins) 5 – Some nice quick passing outside the penalty area but ultimately failed to break the Sheffield United defence down.

Alexandre Lacazette (23 mins) 5 – Good to see the striker back, but like Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette was supplied with very little service this evening.

Gabriel Martinelli (14 mins) N/A – Unai Emery went gung ho in the closing minutes of the game but Gabriel Martinelli barely saw the ball.