Confirmed lineups: Liverpool vs Arsenal

Arsenal will be looking to rebound from Sunday’s disappointing 2-2 draw at home to Crystal Palace as we look to reach the quarter-finals of this season’s EFL Cup with a tricky trip to Anfield this evening.

It’s no surprise to see Unai Emery make wholesale changes to his squad, with Saturday’s Premier League clash with Wolves in mind, but it is somewhat of a surprise to see Mesut Ozil back in the starting lineup. The German is making his first appearance in over a month for the Gunners.

The confirmed lineups for this evening’s game are as follows:

Liverpool

Caoimhin Kelleher; Neco Williams, Joe Gomez, Sepp van den Berg, James Milner; Naby Keita, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain; Harvey Elliott, Rhian Brewster, Divock Origi

Substitutes: Adrian, Billy Koumetio, Yasser Larouci, Pedro Chirivella, Curtis Jones, Herbie Kane, Leighton Clarkson

Jurgen Klopp has fielded a very young squad this evening, with 22-year-old Pedro Chirivella the most experienced player among the substitutes.

It looks as though James Milner will play at left-back alongside highly-rated teenager summer signing Sepp van den Berg. Joe Gomez is back in the starting lineup, whilst I know nothing about goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher or right-back Neco Williams.

The Reds field a much more experienced central midfield with Naby Keita, Adam Lallana and former Gunner Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain starting.

I think Divock Origi will line up down the left of the front three with Rhian Brewter being an out-and-out striker. Former Fulham youngster Harvey Elliott starts down the right wing. He’s still only 16 years old.

Arsenal

Emi Martinez; Hector Bellerin, Rob Holding, Shkodran Mustafi, Sead Kolasinac; Lucas Torreira, Joe Willock, Mesut Ozil, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Gabriel Martinelli, Bukayo Saka

Substitutes: Dean Macey, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Kieran Tierney, Matteo Guendouzi, Dani Ceballos, Nicolas Pepe, Alexandre Lacazette

Unai Emery fields a much more experienced starting lineup and a bench loaded with regular first team players.

Emi Martinez has been out cup goalkeeper this season and is protected by a defence of Hector Bellerin, Rob Holding, Shkodran Mustafi and Sead Kolasinac who have all started in our Europa League campaign this season.

No surprise that Granit Xhaka is not a part of our midfield this evening as Lucas Torreira gets a rare start this season. Joe Willock will be alongside him and Mesut Ozil in a more advanced role.

Goals should be expected for exciting teenager Gabriel Martinelli against the Liverpool defence. He will be supported by Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Bukayo Saka in attack.