Player Ratings: Arsenal 2-1 West Ham

Arsenal made it two wins from two to start the 2020-21 Premier League season thanks to a late winner from Eddie Nketiah against West Ham United on Saturday night.

The victory wasn’t as convincing as our season opener at Fulham last weekend but important none the less, particularly with Manchester United’s defeat earlier in the day.

Alexandre Lacazette had given us the lead before Michail Antonio poked home an equaliser from close range just before half-time.

Here are our player ratings from Arsenal 2-1 West Ham:

Bernd Leno 6 – Didn’t have a chance no West Ham’s goal but looked very dodgy dealing with crosses in the second half.

Rob Holding 7 – Another good performance at right centre-back from Rob Holding as David Luiz only started on the bench.

Gabriel 7 – Fortunate not to concede a penalty or two in the first half but otherwise another impressive performance from the Brazilian, who made a number of clearances as West Ham produced more attacks in the final third than us.

Sead Kolasinc 5 – Named in the starting lineup shortly before kick-off following Kieran Tierney’s injury in the warm-up, and it showed. Sead Kolasinac was at fault for the West Ham goal for not closing down or cutting out Ryan Frederics’ cross.

Hector Bellerin 6 – Got up and down the right wing but didn’t produce too much in the final third.

Dani Ceballos 8 – A man of the match performance, Dani Ceballos dictated the tempo of the game when we were in possession and provided the assist for our winner with a well-timed run in behind the opposition defence.

Granit Xhaka 7 – Got on the ball and looked after it as we saw 63% of the ball.

Bukayo Saka 8 – Two excellent through balls to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Dani Ceballos to setup our two goals. Decent support to Sead Kolasinac in defending against Jarrod Bowen and Ryan Fredericks down the left.

Willian 6 – A largely underwhelming performance after last week’s debut. Willian didn’t do much in terms of creating chances nor test Lukaszk Fabianski himself.

Alexandre Lacazette 6 – Scored a bullet header to give us the lead but otherwise Alexandre Lacazette had a wasteful game.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 6 – Struggled to get into the game without Kieran Tierney in the team to support in attack. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang did provide the well-weighted and angled cross to set up our opening goal but didn’t look like scoring himself.

Substitutes

Nicolas Pepe (28 mins) 5 – Looked energetic after coming on down the right but didn’t see much of the ball.

Eddie Nketiah (17 mins) N/A – Moved into the space at the right time to be on hand to score our winner from close range. Eddie Nketiah barely touched the ball before or after in his late cameo.

David Luiz (3 mins) N/A – Late introduction to see out the victory.