Player Ratings: Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal

Liverpool came from behind to beat Arsenal 3-1 at Anfield on Monday night.

The Reds maintained their 100% start to the 2020-21 Premier League season whilst handing us our first defeat in the process.

It had all started well with Alexandre Lacazette giving us the lead on 25 minutes, but we were behind within 10 minutes.

Diogo Jota scored late on to seal the three points for the defending champions.

Here are my player ratings from Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal:

Bernd Leno 6 – Made some fine saves early on as Liverpool started on the front foot. Bernd Leno should have done better with Mohamed Salah’s effort in the lead up to their equaliser, but had no chance with the next two goals.

Rob Holding 7 – Handled Sadio Mane fairly well defensively but loose in possession which allowed Liverpool to pile on the pressure.

David Luiz 6 – Had been defending fairly well until the final 10 minutes when Liverpool created a lot of chances, which included Diogo Jota’s goal from 20 yards under no pressure.

Kieran Tierney 5 – Had a tough time up against Mohamed Salah, particularly when the forward cut inside on his stronger left foot. Offered little going forward himself.

Hector Bellerin 5 – Caught out of position for Liverpool’s second goal. Sadio Mane had the beating of Hector Bellerin, which included our right wingback picking up a yellow card.

Mohamed Elneny 4 – Couldn’t get in possession of the ball and Liverpool often passed the ball around Mohamed Elneny.

Granit Xhaka 5 – Blocked a couple of crosses and broke up possession a couple of times. Excellent pass for Alexandre Lacazette’s opener but struggled to create anything afterwards.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles 4 – Misplaced too many passes and was generally poor in possession. Ainsley Maitland-Niles also did a poor job of keeping tabs on Salah.

Willian 5 – Did some important defending but given Willian was starting in the front three we needed more productivity in the final third of which we got none out of the Brazilian.

Alexandre Lacazette 6 – Grabbed the opening goal but missed a chance to equalise one-on-one in the final 25 minutes by firing straight at Alisson.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 4 – Barely got involved in the game and didn’t test Alisson once in the Liverpool goal.

Substitutes

Dani Ceballos (32 mins) 6 – We had a good few minutes when Dani Ceballos came on initially, which saw the Spaniard create a one-on-one for Lacazette. Liverpool took over the ball shortly afterwards though.

Nicolas Pepe (24 mins) 5 – Took a couple of corners but otherwise barely got involved in the game.

Eddie Nketiah (18 mins) N/A – The ball rarely went into Liverpool’s half after Eddie Nketiah was introduced so the striker couldn’t leave his mark.