Match report: Man City 1-0 Arsenal

Arsenal were handed our second defeat of the season as we failed to score at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday evening.

Raheem Sterling scored the only goal of the game after 23 minutes, though victory for Manchester City wasn’t enough to move above us in the Premier League table.

We had come away as 2-0 winners in our FA Cup semi-final back in July last season but Pep Guardiola got the better of his mentor on this occasion.

Manchester City had been without star players Kevin De Bruyne and Aymeric Laporte, whilst Sergio Aguero was available to them for the first time this season.

Sterling’s winner came on a rebound after Phil Foden’s effort had been parried by Bernd Leno.

David Luiz had been a late introduction into our starting lineup after Rob Holding dropped out with an injury in the warm-up. The move saw us play a 4-3-3 formation, whilst we were likely to play our usual 3-4-3 prior to the disruption.

The boss had gone with Willian in a false number nine role but the Brazilian failed to have any impact on the game before he was replaced by Alexandre Lacazette midway through the second half.

Bukayo Saka and Nicolas Pepe were the only players to test Citizens goalkeeper Ederson at the Etihad today, with Leno making four saves himself.

Arsenal will host Leicester City next Saturday, with the Foxes currently above us on goal difference prior to their game at home to Aston Villa on Sunday.