Player ratings: Man City 1-0 Arsenal

Arsenal were beaten 0-1 away to Manchester City on Saturday evening in a game of few opportunities.

Raheem Sterling scored the only goal of the game midway through the first half, whilst Bukayo Saka saw a one-on-one denied by Ederson and VAR ignored Gabriel’s shout for a penalty in the first half.

We created very little with Willian playing in a false number nine prior to Alexandre Lacazette’s introduction midway through the second half.

Here are my player ratings from Manchester City 1-0 Arsenal:

Bernd Leno 7 – Some critics may argued the German could have done better in parrying Phil Foden’s effort in a different direction, but the shot came from closely in front of Bernd Leno. Our goalkeeper later denied the England international one-on-one, as well as Riyad Mahrez from close range.

Hector Bellerin 5 – Tough game at right-back as Phil Foden played an important role in the goal by cutting inside of Hector Bellerin before getting his shot away. Playing on the left, Foden caused a lot of problems whilst the Spaniard offered little going forward.

David Luiz 7 – Looked more assured than his previous trip here, particularly as David Luiz was only drafted into the starting lineup less than hour before kickoff due to Rob Holding pulling out with a hamstring injury in the warm-up.

Gabriel 6 – Didn’t look so comfortable on the ball and was bailed out by Leno to prevent it from being 0-2 after conceding possession outside his own penalty area. Sergio Aguero never looked like scoring at least, whilst Gabriel deserved a penalty for Kyle Walker’s high foot.

Kieran Tierney 5 – Really struggled to defend Riyad Mahrez down the wing as the Algerian often threatened to score, once being denied by our goalkeeper form only seven yards out after turning Kieran Tierney inside-out.

Bukayo Saka 7 – Caused a couple of problems down the left wing up against Kyle Walker. Saw his one-on-one effort deflect off Ederson’s shoulder and spin narrowly wide of the goal in the first half.

Dani Ceballos 7 – Worked hard winning the ball back for us time and time again, though allowed Sergio Aguero to get away from him in the build up to the only goal.

Granit Xhaka 6 – Worked hard off the ball but was ultimately passed around time and time again. Did a good job looking after the ball without starting much in attack.

Nicolas Pepe 6 – Didn’t look like scoring with his headed efforts and put a late free kick wide. Wasn’t a huge factor in the game.

Willian 5 – Did a lot of closing down but was mostly ineffective in the false number nine role. Perhaps moved into this position due to the pre-game defensive change that prevented Saka and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang partnering down the left.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 5 – On the brink of the game this evening, being kept quiet by Kyle Walker isn’t something to be proud of.

Substitutes

Alexandre Lacazette (23 mins) 5 – Struggled to make much of an impact much like all of our attack, after being brought on to help find an equaliser.

Thomas Partey (9 mins) N/A – Given nine minutes on his debut following his deadline day move from Atletico Madrid.

Eddie Nketiah (9 mins) N/A – Mikel Arteta went hail mary with this late sub but we had no supply to the attack.