Match report: Arsenal 0-1 Leicester

Jamie Vardy came off the bench to score the only goal of the game in the final 10 minutes as Leicester City beat Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday evening.

Alexandre Lacazette thought he’d headed us in front from a corner in the first half but the goal was chalked off for Granit Xhaka standing in front of Kasper Schmeichel in an offside position.

Lacazette later missed a free header from four yards out after excellent play from Kieran Tierney down the left to setup the striker with a gilt-edge chance that was nodded wide.

A Hector Bellerin volley forced a comfortable save out of Schmeichel in the second half, but otherwise we created little. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang didn’t test the Leicester goalkeeper once all game.

Brendan Rodgers had started the game without an out-and-out striker before Jamie Vardy was introduced on the hour. The visitors failed to produce a single shot on target until the former England international was introduced.

15 minutes later, Cengiz Under replaced Harvey Barnes. The two substitutes combined 10 minutes from time to score the game’s only goal. The Turkish international got away down the right wing before crossing to an unmarked Vardy to head home on the counter-attack with their first shot on target.

Vardy would be denied his second goal by Bernd Leno one-on-one only minutes later.

Defeat leaves us down in 10th after six games – four points behind joint leaders Everton and Liverpool. The Toffees were beaten 0-2 away to Southampton earlier in the day.

We’re back in Europa League action on Thursday night when we host Dundalk, before returning to Premier League action away to Manchester United on Sunday 1 November.